Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Pad Thai on the Fly

Pad Thai with Long Bean Salad



More from last night's dinner... an improvised version of Rena's Pad Thai.  I didn't have all the ingredients called for in Rena's delectable recipe so I made a few substitutions.  I think the key is having the pad thai noodles, something nutty and something spicy.



We have hot chili peppers growing in our yard.  Our trip to Chinatown over the weekend yielded the noodles and I happen to have some spicy thai chili sauce.  Firm tofu is a regular item in our fridge.



Ok, here's Rena Unger's recipe:


Rena's Pad Thai


7 ounces dry rice noodles
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 chilies, minced
1/4 cup sesame oil
1 1/2 cup firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup scallions, chopped
1 cup Chinese broccoli, chopped
1 cup broccoli, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
1 lime, cut into 6 wedges


Sauce:


4 tablespoons vegan fish sauce (see below)
4 tablespoons peanut butter
4 tablespoons sweet chili sauce 
4 tablespoons brown rice vinegar


Salt to taste


1. Soak noodles in filtered water for 30 minutes
2. Heat half the oil in a large saute pan or wok, add garlic and chilies, cook until soft and add tofu
3. Add vegetables and saute until soft
4, Add noodles and remaining oil, saute and combine all ingredients
5. Add sauce and cilantro
6. Garnish with lime wedges and peanuts





I didn't have scallions so I threw in one thinly sliced shallot. We bought curly bok choy in Chinatown so I chopped that up and used it to replace the broccoli.  I was worried the sauce would be too spicy if I used a full 4 tablespoon of the spicy Thai chili sauce so I added 2 tablespoons plus 2 tablespoons of mirin.


The result was pretty delicious but not quite as scrumptious as Rena's version which I highly recommend.


Here is the recipe for Rena's Vegan Fish Sauce:


1/2 cup tamari
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons umeboshi vinegar
2 tablespoons mirin
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup water
salt


1. Blend all ingredients


If you get a chance to take one of Rena's cooking classes, do it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Google Search